All throughout the Bible we find examples of friendship and the influence friends are able to have on each other. When I think of an example of friends who encouraged each other to do right, my mind goes to the story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. These men stuck together all the way to being thrown into a fiery furnace just to do what was right. To see the opposite end of the spectrum, we could look at Job and his friends who were not spiritual enough to see the Lord in Job’s trial, but discouraged him. I was meditating on the subject of friendship while reading Psalm one, and the Lord showed me some qualities that I should strive to have in my own life to be a good friend as well as qualities that I should look for in a godly friend.
1. “Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly…” A good friend will not cave in to peer pressure. Someone who is grounded in their convictions will stand for what is right even if they stand alone.
2. “nor standeth in the way of sinners…” The people we associate with help to shape our character. A good friend will not hang around someone because of their popularity, but rather those who are honoring the Lord with their lives.
3. “nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful…” A good way to tell what is in someone’s heart is to listen to what comes out of their mouth. Choose not to hang around someone who is critical of others. Look for friends that see the best in others.
4. “but his delight is in the law of the Lord…” I love to hear my friends talk about what the Lord is doing in their life. Someone who is delighting in the Lord will bear witness of that in their speech.
5. “and in his law doth he meditate day and night.” A good friend will be in God’s Word. A genuine walk with the Lord is the foundation on which everything else is built. There is no substitute for spending time in Bible reading and prayer.
These character traits will cause you to be un-movable like a tree that is planted by the rivers of water and will bring forth fruit in your life. God says His blessing will be on this person. The ungodly friend is like the chaff that is blowing in the wind, their life will not count for the Lord. Determine today to be a godly friend.8