If you know what “PK” stands for, this article is for you. If you have ever thought of yourself as a “walking talking sermon example” this article is for you. If you wear out your church shoes faster than your tennis shoes, this article is for you. 🙂
I wanted to take a few minutes and share my heart. I’ve been where you are and I know it can be the best/hardest thing. My desire is to see you be all you can be for the Lord and I pray something in this post encourages you. <3
Here are four things I want to share with you:
- You aren’t better than anyone:
Quite the opposite is true; you are chief servant. If this point isn’t your favorite, let me encourage you with these verses from John 13 :15 – 17 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.
Don’t miss the joy in serving! You know those banquets where you stay late and stack chairs and wash dishes? The Saturdays you go to the church and clean for Sunday? Those can be the happiest times when you are doing those things for the Lord.
- You will see the Lord do the most miraculous things, but the only thing that will change your life is the reading and applying of God’s Word:
The pastor’s kid has a front row seat in watching God change lives! I am thinking right now of names and faces and the miraculous things God did! Being witness to those things will not be enough to change your life. You MUST have a personal relationship with the Lord. In II Peter 2:19 – Peter talks about how they actually heard God’s voice from Heaven, yet we have a more sure Word of prophecy in God’s written Word. Romans 10:17 – Faith cometh by hearing and hearing from the Word of God. Both of these passages demonstrate how important it is to read God’s Word. Nothing will substitute for a personal walk with God.
- There will be people who will want you to fail; but God is greater:
Growing up, I was aware of people who wanted me to mess up. The Devil cannot attack the Lord, so he turns his attack on the church and on God’s man. Don’t become discouraged by those who want you to fail. God is greater and He will give you strength to live the christian life.
4. You can be the greatest encouragement to your pastor/dad:
- Always tell your dad directly after the service that his message was a blessing. Tell him specifically what you got out of the message and how the Lord used it in your life. Trust me when I say this will be the biggest encouragement to him! If he feels like his message was a failure, just knowing that his children are learning and growing will help lift his spirits.
- Do your best to make your home a peaceful place on Sunday. Get up early and help get your younger siblings ready. Set the table when you get home for lunch. Your dad is fighting a spiritual battle as he preaches and making your home a haven will help refresh him between services.
- Bear burdens with him in prayer. Ask him what you can pray about and then commit to pray every day. Your dad will bear the burdens of his congregation in prayer and you can lighten his load by praying with him.
We would love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment and let us know where your dad pastors and what you do to encourage him. <38